February 8, 2023

Tension in Nicaragua due to the closure of Radio Católica and other stations

Read Time:3 Minute, 8 Second


(CNN Spanish) — The Nicaraguan Center for Human Rights (Cenidh) condemned this Monday the police “attack” on the Niño Dios chapel in Prague and the Divine Mercy church, located in the municipality of Sébaco, department of Matagalpa, 100 kilometers north of Managua.

Through its social networks, the Cenidh demanded that the personal integrity and life of the religious, parishioners and journalists who were in those facilities be respected.

In Facebook broadcasts, journalists from the Sébaco Catholic channel denounced that the police evicted with bombs and tear gas dozens of people who came to the place on Monday night to pray the rosary and ask that the Catholic Radio equipment not be taken. .

The Cenidh demanded on Twitter that the National Police “stop shooting and tear gas against the Catholic people, it is their duty to protect Nicaraguans, not attack them.”

“We make a call to the international community, the regime is attacking the Church, due to the indiscriminate way in which they are shooting into the air, people could be injured,” exhorted the Cenidh.

Regarding the incident, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights expressed on its social networks that “information is received about violent police action apparently to kidnap radio/TV transmission equipment in the Infant Jesus Chapel of Prague (Sébaco). We call on the State, once again, to immediately cease this outrage and not to repress citizens.”

CNN has not been able to independently verify if there are any injured or arrested, although the alleged arrest of two workers from the Catholic Channel is reported on social networks.

The National Police has not yet provided official information on the operation carried out on Monday in Sébaco. CNN is trying to get a version of the institution, but so far has not received a response.

In a previous publication on Facebook, the radio station had said that “the Sandinista government, through the Nicaraguan Institute of Telecommunications and Post Office, Telcor, through this statement has notified the closure of Radio Católica de Sébaco, which broadcast on the frequency 88.9 FM since 2015.”

In the Telcor statement shown in the station’s publication, the Nicaraguan telecommunications regulator argues that “we have verified that the 88.9 Mhz frequency is transmitting under the name ‘Radio Católica de Sébaco’, in the municipality of Sébaco, department of Matagalpa, which, according to our records, does not have any enabling title that authorizes it to provide the FM sound broadcasting service, therefore it is operating illegally”.

Hours earlier, through a statement, the diocese of Matagalpa reported that, under the same argument of not having authorization, Telcor ordered the closure of 7 radio stations in that diocese: Radio Hermanos, Radio Santa Lucía de Ciudad Darío, Radio Católica de Sébaco , Radio Aliens from San Dionisio, Radio San José de Matiguas, Radio Monte Carmelo from Río Blanco, and Radio Nuestra Señora de Lourdes in La Dalia.

All the radio stations are directed by the Bishop of the Diocese of Matagalpa, Monsignor Rolando Álvarez, who said during a homily in Matagalpa that he had a meeting with the late director of Telcor, Orlando Castillo, in 2016, to whom he presented all the documentation of the radios and requested the authorization of operation, but to date they have not received a response.

Monsignor Rolando Álvarez had expressed on Monday on his Twitter account: “All our radio stations have been closed to us. But the word of God will not be silenced.

Telcor has not provided official information on the closure of these outlets. CNN is seeking an opinion from the institution through the Communication and Citizenship Council, but has not yet responded to the request.



Source link

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Previous post The Solidarity Income would be underfunded, says the Petro team
Next post Court of Mexico grants definitive suspension of the extradition of Rafael Caro Quintero to the United States.