(CNN Spanish) — The Venezuelan Minister of Justice, Remigio Ceballos, reported this Thursday that there are already 50 people killed by the landslide that occurred in the state of Aragua over the weekend.
Cesaballos added that the bodies have already been handed over to their relatives.
In a statement Tuesday, Maduro hinted that hopes of safely rescuing the more than 50 people who remain missing are fading. “We are reaching almost 100 victims, fatalities, in this tragedy,” Maduro said.
Maduro also announced that emergency funds had been made available to the survivors, asking the local population for patience and indicating that it will take time to reach all the families affected by the tragedy.
Monday through Twitter, Maduro, had said that he had ordered the “maximum deployment” to the Social Cabinet and the security agencies to deal with the emergency. Maduro declared three days of national mourning starting Sunday, “in solidarity with the affected families,” according to his tweet.
Carlos Pérez, Vice Minister for Risk Management and Civil Protection, assured on Monday that more than 1,000 officials of the National Risk Management System and police officers participate in the search and rescue plan in the Santos Michelena municipality, due to the overflow of the Quebrada Los Patos after days of continuous rains.
For her part, the governor of Aragua, Karina Carpio, communicated on Twitter that 21 sectors in Santos Michelena were affected by heavy rainfall. She added that houses have been destroyed, trees have fallen, 15 businesses have reported damage, and the electrical system has been suspended.